Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Performers

You want tight trunks? You got it.



This is one of my all time favorite surf movies. Long out of print, I thought I'd never see it again.

Released in 1984, Quiksilver's "The Performers" documents the '83/'84 winter on the North Shore. And its got everything you want in a mid-80's surf movie:

1. Kong...with board logo and everything
2. Super cheesy narration
3. A killer soundtrack (Pink Floyd and Talking Heads...are you kidding me?)
4. Bad motion graphics
5. Killer board graphics
6. New wave boardshorts
7. Endless footage of guys dropping in at Sunset

But what I love most about old 80's surf movies is that the performance level was still pre-New School. The Colonel will never ever boost a frontside 360 air, but give him a few weeks and he just might pull a backside under-the-lip snap at Rocky Point.

He'll make some flippy floppy, too.

The Colonel says, "Everybody, GET IN LINE."